Our annual free apartment contest is open for submissions until February 15th!
The Submission Process:
1. The essay may be up to 500 words. In lieu of an essay, we will be accepting 30 to 60-second video submissions.
2. Submit by Feb 15, 2020, via this website. For special accommodations, please email – firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The essays will be reviewed by a selection committee and finalists will be notified by email.
4. All finalists must commit to having an in-person interview(s) with the selection committee. Failure to show up for an in-person interview will automatically disqualify finalists.
5. Finalists will need to provide at least two references that will be verified by the committee after the interview.
5. Two final winners will be chosen by the selection committee and notified via email, phone, or in person.
About the Apartments:
The winner will receive free rent for one year in a Studio or 1 Bedroom Apartment located in Ballard, Magnolia, Fremont, Wallingford, Greenwood, or Queen Anne. The apartment size and location will be based on current availability. The winner will not be able to select their location.
The lease will span from June 1, 2020, to May 31, 2021
Amenities: hardwood floors, onsite laundry, 24/7 maintenance support
Security Deposit: No deposit is required for the essay winners.
Utilities, including but not limited to, electricity, water, sewer, garbage, cable, internet, phone, and extra storage space will be the resident’s responsibility
Parking: a reserved parking space will be the resident’s responsibility. Reserved parking is based on availability.
Pet Policy: based on the availability of a pet-friendly unit. May accommodate cats and small dogs. Pet fees are the resident’s responsibility.
- Must be a legal U.S. Resident at least 18 years of age.
- Past applicants may re-apply
- Past winners may not re-apply
- WPM employees and their immediate family members are exempt from applying
- The contest winner will be required to complete an application for record keeping purposes. This includes, but is not limited to: rental history, income, employment, and credit check. Your financial/credit evaluation will not disqualify you from winning.
- Winner must sign a year-long lease.
- Winner must commit to check-ins about their progress/goals – dates and times to be mutually agreed upon
This year’s question:
What opportunities would you take advantage of if you had free rent for a year?
Rents have increased quickly in Seattle and it has created a strain on many budgets. We can’t ease everyone’s housing budget, but hopefully someone’s situation could be drastically improved.
In 2019, we are proud to award not 1, but 2 free apartments. Don’t miss out on this life changing opportunity!
In the news
See the Seattle Times article here.
Want to stay updated as we release all the details?
Subscribe to our mailing list!