Free Apartment Contest
Update: We’re extending the contest until March 15th!
The 2021 Submission Process:
- Must be a legal U.S. Resident at least 18 years of age.
- Past applicants may re-apply
- Past winners may not re-apply
- WPM employees and their immediate family members are exempt from applying
- The contest winner will be required to complete an application for record-keeping purposes. This includes, but is not limited to: rental history, income, employment, and credit check. Your financial/credit evaluation will not disqualify you from winning.
- Winners must sign a year-long lease starting in June 2021.
- Winners must commit to check-ins about their progress/goals – dates and times to be mutually agreed upon
- Winners must agree to pay for utilities, pet rent, parking, or any additional costs incurred while living in the apartment
- Clearly & Specifically answer the Question: “In this era of Covid, how would having a free apartment impact your ability to improve your community?”
- Maximum 500 words, minimum of 100 words
- Do NOT include your name or identifiers in the essay. This helps eliminate bias and keeps your essay anonymous for the review committee. You will supply your contact information outside of your written essay in the form below.
- Your essay must be factual. Finalists will be required to submit references to verify the information presented in your essay.
- All essays must be submitted no later than 5pm on March 15, 2021. NO EXCEPTIONS. Do not wait until the last minute to submit.
2021 Submission Form
This year’s question: In this era of COVID, how would having a free apartment impact your ability to improve your community?
To be considered, please ensure your essay answers this question specifically*
About the Apartments:
The winner will receive free rent for one year in an Efficiency, Studio or 1 Bedroom Apartment located in Ballard, Magnolia, Fremont, Wallingford, Greenwood, Capitol Hill, or Queen Anne. The apartment size and location will be based on current availability. The max number of occupants is 3. The winner will not be able to select their location.
Security Deposit: No deposit will be required.
Amenities: Onsite laundry, 24/7 maintenance support.
Utilities, including but not limited to, electricity, water, sewer, garbage, cable, internet, phone, and extra storage space will be the resident’s responsibility
Storage/Parking: reserved storage or parking space will be the resident’s responsibility. Reserved parking is based on availability.
Pet Policy: based on the availability of a pet-friendly unit. May accommodate cats and small dogs. Pet fees are the resident’s responsibility.
Why do we give away free rent?
Rather than donating to a nonprofit, or charity, the purpose of this contest is to directly impact the members of our community by providing an opportunity to ripple out change.
In previous years, the contest has demonstrated that when a person gets help with the costs of rent, the winners overwhelmingly choose to repurpose that money for things like tuition, medical costs, and saving for the future.
Free rent is so much more than a gift, it’s an opportunity.
Are you interested in donating an apartment for the 2021 contest? Fill out this form and our team will be in touch!
At this time we are only considering properties located in Seattle*
Quotes from our contestants
“I am so grateful to Walls Property Management and their entire team for making this incredible opportunity a reality for me! I am excited for the upcoming year and the freedom to pursue my dreams without being preoccupied with my finances. The opportunity that Walls Property Management provides the Seattle community is one of a kind and their team is very knowledgeable and supportive throughout the process. I highly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity in the upcoming years by applying to their free apartment contest as well as supporting their business in any other ways that you can to continue to allow them to make this opportunity available to others because it truly is life changing. Thank you again to Walls Property Management for the opportunity and I am so excited about my new apartment!”
2020 Winner – Grace
“Thank you so much for considering me. This contest has definitely inspired me to give more and makes me feel good knowing I’m renting from such a generous company. I wish both winners all the best. “
2020 Finalist – Dee Dee
“Thank you so much! From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Thank you!! I can’t even believe this is happening!”
2020 Winner – Brian
“I have purchased a tiny home motor coach conversion and have secured a spot on some private land where the bus is in storage until move in. I want to make sure Preston knows this would have never happened without him. This year has instilled within me the necessity for financial stability and wellness. While I never had an aunt to talk stocks and bonds with me, I have Preston who has me convinced that I matter and that I can be ok too. Thanks again for your support Preston, doesn’t look like I’ll ever be houseless again.”
2019 Winner – Erik
Rents have increased quickly in Seattle and it has created a strain on many budgets. We can’t ease everyone’s housing budget, but hopefully someone’s situation could be drastically improved.
In 2021, we are proud to award not 2, but 3 free apartments. Don’t miss out on this life changing opportunity!
See the Seattle Times article here.
In the news
Question & Answer FAQ’s
Q: Once I finalize my submission what happens?
Q: Who is on the committee?
A: The committee is comprised of Walls Property Management employees as well as former contest winners, and some community members.
Q: Do I need to live in Seattle to be eligible for this contest?
Q: When are the submission deadlines?
A: The Submission window is from February 1st, 2021 to February 28th, 2021 at 9pm.
Q: If I win, when do I move in?
A: June 1st, 2021